Skip to main content

Survivors of newspaper shooting, victims’ relatives sue

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — The families of five Maryland newspaper employees killed in a mass shooting in 2018 and most of the surviving employees who were in the Capital Gazette newsroom during the attack have filed two lawsuits alleging a parent company did not do enough to prevent the attack.

The Baltimore Sun, also named as a defendant, reports the lawsuits were unsealed Thursday.  They were filed last month along with a request to keep them sealed while the gunman’s trial played out.

A jury on Thursday found Jarrod Ramos criminally responsible. Ramos had a long-running grudge against the Annapolis newspaper.

Bowie mother shot in the head while holding her baby, another child tried to intervene, police say

The Bowie, Maryland, mother who was shot in the head by her romantic partner Thursday was holding the couple’s 2-month-old baby as they argued about school supplies, according to charging documents. The woman was rushed into surgery and, as of Friday afternoon, remained in critical condition, police said. Her partner, Kimball Hinton Jr., 41, has been charged with first- and second-degree attempted murder, first- and second-degree assault, three counts of reckless endangerment and other firearm-related charges in connection with the shooting. One of the couple’s six children, who were all in the house on Myrtle Avenue in Bowie when the shooting happened, called police at 4:16 p.m. Thursday and said her mother had just been shot by her father, the documents state. Hinton himself called police two minutes later, according to the documents, and admitted shooting her.
Read Next Story