Skip to main content

Andy Murray to donate this year’s prize money to children in Ukraine

▶ Watch Video: Ukraine authorities say Russian missiles hit a Mariupol hospital and power was cut from Chernobyl power plant

Andy Murray has pledged to donate his 2022 prize money to help children in Ukraine. The British tennis star made the announcement Tuesday on Twitter.

The three-time Grand Slam champion said he’s working with the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) to provide urgent medical supplies and early childhood development kits. Murray also highlighted how the war in Ukraine is disrupting children’s schooling.

“It’s vital education continues, so UNICEF is working to enable access to learning for displaced children, as well as supporting the rehabilitation of damaged schools, together with replacement equipment and furniture,” he wrote.

He said he would donate the rest of this year’s prize money to the agency and appealed to others to join in.

“Children in Ukraine need peace – now,” he added.

One day after his announcement, Russia was accused of striking a maternity hospital in Mariupol, Ukraine.

Murray’s donation fund will start with his earnings from the upcoming BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, California. The former No. 1 ranked men’s tennis player will appear in the tournament as a wild card. Even if he loses in the first round, Murray will earn a minimum of $18,200, according to the ATP Tour.

The 34-year-old has won nearly $63 million over the course of his career. While a series of injuries and surgeries have most likely put his best playing days behind him, last year, Murray still amassed $550,000 in winnings, according to ESPN. Murray joins a host of other celebrities, including Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Bethenny Frankel, Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher, in raising money for aid to Ukraine.

UNICEF said the war in Ukraine poses an “immediate and growing threat” to the country’s 7.5 million children. The agency said it was ramping up efforts to address safe water, health care, education and protection needs. Last month, UNICEF published a report calling for more than $66 million in donations.

Analysis: The world Washington built is fraying. What comes next?

The United States is confronting a global security environment that increasingly resembles the outcome its Cold War adversaries once hoped to produce: a divided West, weakened alliances, economic exhaustion, multiple simultaneous wars and declining confidence in American leadership. That does not mean today’s crises were orchestrated according to some surviving Soviet master plan. The Soviet Union is gone, and the threats facing Washington now come from several different states with different interests. But the strategic effect is strikingly familiar. Early NATO assessments of Soviet intentions warned that Moscow sought to weaken the democratic powers, deny the West a secure European base and ultimately exhaust North America economically. Now, NATO says Russia is again trying to reconfigure the Euro-Atlantic security order through military force, sabotage, cyberattacks, coercion and disinformation. The difference is that much of the pressure now confronting the West is occurring simultaneously — and some of the damage to alliance cohesion is self-inflicted.
Read Next Story