Skip to main content

UK’s Prince Philip spends a second night in hospital

Prince Philip has spent a second night in hospital after being admitted earlier this week as a “precautionary measure” following complaints that he was feeling unwell.

Buckingham Palace did not issue an update on the Duke of Edinburgh’s health when contacted by CNN on Thursday.

The 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in London on Tuesday evening, Buckingham Palace said in a press release, issued Wednesday.

According to a Royal source, it was not an emergency admission and the Duke traveled to hospital by car and walked in unaided. The source added that the illness was not Covid-19 related.

The Buckingham Palace press release on Wednesday said the Duke’s admission was a “precautionary measure” taken on the advice of his doctor after the Prince was “feeling unwell.”

“The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest,” the press release added.

Prince Philip stepped back from public life in 2017 and, due to his advancing age, has been taken to hospital several times in recent years.

In December 2019, he received hospital treatment for a pre-existing condition.

The Duke was born in Corfu, Greece, in 1921 and has English, Russian, German/Prussian and Danish ancestry. He and Queen Elizabeth married in November 20, 1947.

Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth have both received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine.

Analysis: The world Washington built is fraying. What comes next?

The United States is confronting a global security environment that increasingly resembles the outcome its Cold War adversaries once hoped to produce: a divided West, weakened alliances, economic exhaustion, multiple simultaneous wars and declining confidence in American leadership. That does not mean today’s crises were orchestrated according to some surviving Soviet master plan. The Soviet Union is gone, and the threats facing Washington now come from several different states with different interests. But the strategic effect is strikingly familiar. Early NATO assessments of Soviet intentions warned that Moscow sought to weaken the democratic powers, deny the West a secure European base and ultimately exhaust North America economically. Now, NATO says Russia is again trying to reconfigure the Euro-Atlantic security order through military force, sabotage, cyberattacks, coercion and disinformation. The difference is that much of the pressure now confronting the West is occurring simultaneously — and some of the damage to alliance cohesion is self-inflicted.
Read Next Story