Skip to main content

Battlefield High School coach ‘no longer an employee’ after racist social media posts

This article was republished with permission from WTOP’s news partner InsideNoVa.com. Sign up for InsideNoVa.com’s free email subscription today. Read the article on Inside Nova. 

This article was written by WTOP’s news partner InsideNoVa.com and republished with permission. Sign up for InsideNoVa.com’s free email subscription today.

An assistant baseball coach at Battlefield High School in Haymarket is no longer an employee of the Prince William County school system following racist posts on social media, principal Ryan Ferrera said Thursday.

The school system did not detail the posts in question, but screenshots sent to InsideNoVa.com showed remarks on the Bleacher Report’s Facebook page, in which the coach wrote, “I’d put a knee on his neck too.”

Ferrera called the posts highly degrading and offensive, and say they have no place at Battlefield High School.

“The assistant coaching job was this individual’s only role in our school, and I am writing to inform you that he is no longer an employee of Battlefield High School or PWCS,” Ferrara said in a statement. “This type of behavior is not tolerated for anyone working with our students, families, and staff.”

The case is the second this week involving a Prince William County Public Schools employee making racist remarks on Facebook.

Earlier this week, a teacher’s aide at Covington-Harper Elementary School was placed on administrative leave as school officials investigate a Facebook post in which she used the “N” word.

“I am sad, disappointed, and sorry that this happened. It is a great honor to be the principal of Battlefield High School, and I want to make sure that all of our students, families and staff feel the support and care that I have for them,” Ferrara said.

Va. health dept. improves nursing home inspection backlog, reforms sanction criteria for facilities

Stories of neglect in care or unsanitary living situations have plagued several of Virginia’s nursing home facilities in recent years and data backs up a lapse in oversight by state agencies.  With reform efforts underway, the Virginia Department of Health officials said they aim to adopt sanction criteria by the end of the year to rein in bad actors and get troubled facilities back on track.  As of July, 58% of Virginia’s nursing homes were overdue for inspections and 68 of Virginia’s 289 nursing homes were found to have serious deficiencies, according to ProPublica. Several of the state’s flagged facilities with numerous deficiencies also had high staffing turnover rates.  The issue has been salient among various healthcare spaces, including VDH. 
Read Next Story