Skip to main content

Virginia Beach: Full file on mass shooting won’t be released

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — The Virginia Beach Police Department says it will not release its complete investigative file into last year’s mass shooting when it’s finished.

The city said it will instead release a summary of its findings.

The Virginian-Pilot reported Tuesday that city officials will likely complete their final investigative report this fall.

Last year’s shooting by a city employee killed 12 people and critically injured four others.

Some of the victims’ families say the entire file should be released. Kevin Martingayle, an attorney for the widower of victim Kate Nixon, said there is no reason to keep the file secret because the shooter is dead.

Va. health dept. improves nursing home inspection backlog, reforms sanction criteria for facilities

Stories of neglect in care or unsanitary living situations have plagued several of Virginia’s nursing home facilities in recent years and data backs up a lapse in oversight by state agencies.  With reform efforts underway, the Virginia Department of Health officials said they aim to adopt sanction criteria by the end of the year to rein in bad actors and get troubled facilities back on track.  As of July, 58% of Virginia’s nursing homes were overdue for inspections and 68 of Virginia’s 289 nursing homes were found to have serious deficiencies, according to ProPublica. Several of the state’s flagged facilities with numerous deficiencies also had high staffing turnover rates.  The issue has been salient among various healthcare spaces, including VDH. 
Read Next Story