Skip to main content

Metro sets sights on Blue, Orange and Silver Lines as Green and Yellow go fully automated

Metro’s effort to fully automating the agency’s trains inched one step closer to the finish line on Friday, as the Green and Yellow Lines became the latest to undergo the transition.

Randy Clarke, who serves as Metro’s CEO and general manager, told WTOP that the transit agency is focusing on reliability and safety in getting automatic trains to run smoothly.

Related stories

“Automation is our goal to get to as a system, which is kind of the world standard in big rail systems and across Asia, Europe,” Clarke said. “Honolulu is the only one so far in the United States.”

“We are way behind the rest of the world in using real, true automation on a fixed guideway system, you know, because we don’t have interfaces with other trains or cars, or things of that nature,” he added.

Metro trains were designed to run automatically, but switched to manual operation in 2009 after a Red Line crash near Fort Totten killed nine people.

A human operator will still be in the cabin during automation, but it won’t be used when there is bad weather or track work. Operations will instead switch from a hybrid automated model to a manual system.

“We also are specifically removing ourselves from this, if you will, hybrid model sometimes during weather or special events, or just times during the day, to ensure that the train will operate in both modes so everyone is very sharp on their skill set,” Clarke said.

He said that they are meeting this week to work on expanding automation to the Blue, Orange and Silver Lines.

“We’ve completed all of our testing. It was always our plan to have that up and running in June, so I think we’ll still be ready here at Metro to do that and feel pretty comfortable with that. So it’s certainly a big safety, reliability and efficiency step here for the organization,” Clarke said.

WTOP’s Nick Iannelli contributed to this report. 

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2025 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Metro and IndyCar team up for a busy weekend of Freedom 250 Grand Prix events

No, you weren't hallucinating Thursday morning — that was an IndyCar being pulled along the Metro tracks through a portion of D.C. It was part of a promotion between the Freedom 250 Grand Prix and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority to remind people that the best way to navigate the expected huge crowds this weekend is to take Metro. "Even IndyCar knows the fastest way to get around is actually on Metro," said Randy Clarke, the transit agency's general manager and CEO. "We're really excited about this, and this car was a really kind of fun way to show a different way that people can see the Metro system, and we're having a little fun." The IndyCar, described as a work car that will not run in any of the races scheduled over the weekend, was fastened aboard a flat-bed train car and pulled along the yellow line, beginning at the King Street station up to the Mount Vernon station then back south to the L'Enfant Plaza station. Metro riders gawked at the multicolored, low-profile racecar as the train paused at L'Enfant for a photo op.
Read Next Story