Skip to main content

Trump administration looks to address safety for travelers in DC

The U.S. Department of Transportation said it wants to improve travel safety in the nation’s capital, with a series of letters to D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser and the heads of Amtrak and Metro.

Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy’s letters come as the Trump administration has increased its focus on the nation’s capital this week, with President Donald Trump requesting Mayor Bowser remove homeless encampments in the District.

In his letter to Bowser Thursday, Duffy wrote that he’s concerned with “the application of murals or other forms of artwork within the traveled way can distract from the critical task of safe travel for everyone.”

Earlier this week, Bowser said Black Lives Matter Plaza would be changing after Republican Rep. Andrew Clyde from Georgia introduced a bill that would withhold certain funds from D.C. unless the plaza was removed.

A District Department of Transportation spokesperson told WTOP the agency would be reconstructing the plaza soon, with work set to begin next week for about eight weeks.

“DDOT will closely coordinate with local stakeholders to ensure a smooth process, and we appreciate the public’s patience as we work to enhance this important corridor,” the agency said.

Duffy also requested that Bowser ask DDOT to send him a written report on D.C.’s roads.

In a video posted on social media, Duffy highlighted recent criminal incidents involving area transit, including a shooting at Union Station and a man having his Canada Goose jacket stolen while riding Metrorail. Duffy, in his other letters, asked Amtrak to share its plan to address crime at Union Station and for an update from Metro on what it is doing to stop fare evasion and crime.

Amtrak noted in a statement to WTOP that it was only recently granted control of the station by a federal judge last year.

“We appreciate and agree with Secretary Duffy’s interest in a safe and clean Washington Union Station. Important customer experience and security upgrades are already underway,” Amtrak said.

Metro has already taken initiatives to crack down on fare evasion and crime by installing taller fare gates at stations and having police officers patrol Metro stations and railcars. WMATA General Manager and CEO Randy Clarke told WTOP in December that those efforts have led to a significant reduction in both.

In a post on X on Thursday, Clarke said he will work with Duffy, adding, “While we’ve made incredible progress, there’s still more work to do.”

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2025 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Metro and IndyCar team up for a busy weekend of Freedom 250 Grand Prix events

No, you weren't hallucinating Thursday morning — that was an IndyCar being pulled along the Metro tracks through a portion of D.C. It was part of a promotion between the Freedom 250 Grand Prix and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority to remind people that the best way to navigate the expected huge crowds this weekend is to take Metro. "Even IndyCar knows the fastest way to get around is actually on Metro," said Randy Clarke, the transit agency's general manager and CEO. "We're really excited about this, and this car was a really kind of fun way to show a different way that people can see the Metro system, and we're having a little fun." The IndyCar, described as a work car that will not run in any of the races scheduled over the weekend, was fastened aboard a flat-bed train car and pulled along the yellow line, beginning at the King Street station up to the Mount Vernon station then back south to the L'Enfant Plaza station. Metro riders gawked at the multicolored, low-profile racecar as the train paused at L'Enfant for a photo op.
Read Next Story