Skip to main content

White House briefs social media influencers on Ukraine crisis

Top White House and National Security Council staffers held a briefing with about 30 influential social media content creators Thursday about Russia’s war on Ukraine, according to a White House official.

The briefing included content creators who have been covering Ukraine on their social media channels including TikTok, YouTube and Twitter. Briefers gave the content creators an overview of the latest information about Ukraine, projected how the U.S. sees the conflict moving forward, and took questions, according to the official. The Washington Post first reported on the meeting.

The White House official said digital creators have produced explanatory content about Ukraine, generating millions of views and providing information about the crisis to younger generations in particular. As the Russian government has begun paying TikTok creators to produce pro-Kremlin propaganda content, arming content creators with factual information and answers can be a critical tool, the official said.

“An astonishing amount of people are learning about the invasion of Ukraine through digital creators who have begun to cover it,” White House Digital Strategy Director Rob Flaherty tweeted Friday. “We take that really seriously, and are working to make sure those creators have the ability to have their q’s answered.”

Some of the digital creators who joined the briefing took to social media to share what they learned.

“Here are the three most important bits of the White House meeting that me and a bunch of other creators just attended,” posted content creator Marcus DiPaola, who has 3.5 million followers on TikTok. “First, if Russia uses chemical, biological or nuclear weapons in Ukraine, the United States will take escalatory steps. We don’t know what that means, but it won’t be good for Russia. Second, Russian troops are not happy with their own invasion, and it’s really impacting Russia’s ability to make progress in this war. Third, Russia is not going to win in Ukraine. Things have gone so badly for them that it’s just not possible anymore.”

— Kathryn Watson contributed to this report. 

Shares in Chinese humanoid robot maker Unitree soar in Shanghai trading debut

HONG KONG (AP) — Shares of Unitree, one of China's largest humanoid robot makers, initially soared as much as 629% in its public stock trading debut Wednesday in Shanghai, in the latest highlight of investor optimism over China’s technological advances. The company, founded in 2016 by entrepreneur Wang Xingxing in the eastern Chinese technology hub of Hangzhou, raised around 6.1 billion yuan ($904 million) in its listing on the Shanghai Stock Exchange’s Nasdaq-style STAR market. The shares were priced at 150.80 yuan ($22.36) a share. Shares were still up nearly 500% as of midday. Advanced robotics, often referred to as “embodied” artificial intelligence, is a key sector in the heated technology rivalry between China and the U.S. China leads the U.S. in terms of production capacity of humanoid robots and the ability to scale up manufacturing. Last year, of the roughly 15,000 humanoid robots shipped globally, Unitree and AGIBOT, another major Chinese humanoid robot maker, each shipped more than 5,000, according to technology research and advisory group Omdia, way ahead of their U.S. counterparts.
Read Next Story