Skip to main content

Southampton loses appeal in spying case that cost it a chance at promotion to Premier League

Southampton’s appeal against its expulsion from the Championship playoff final because of spying offenses was dismissed on Wednesday.

An arbitration panel upheld the English Football League’s decision to remove Southampton from Saturday’s final, meaning Middlesbrough will take its place and play Hull at Wembley Stadium for the chance to win promotion to the Premier League.

The decision is final.

Southampton was expelled on Tuesday after admitting to repeatedly spying on opponents.

It was charged earlier this month for the unauthorized filming of Middlesbrough’s practice sessions ahead of their semifinal. It went on to win the two-legged tie to go within one game of promotion to the top flight.

The southcoast club subsequently admitted further breaches this season concerning games against Oxford United and Ipswich. It was also deducted four points for next season.

In its appeal, it described its punishment as “manifestly disproportionate” to any previous sanction in English soccer history.

In a long club statement, Southampton chief executive Phil Parsons had accepted “what happened was wrong” and that the club deserved to be sanctioned.

“What we cannot accept,” he said, “is a sanction which bears no proportion to the offense.”

The playoff final is labeled the world’s richest one-off soccer match because a windfall of at least $270 million in future earnings is on offer for the winning team.

Promotion to the top flight of English soccer — the world’s wealthiest and most-watched league — brings with it access to its multibillion dollar global broadcast deals as well as sold out stadiums for games against the biggest teams in the world like Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Southampton was relegated from the Premier League after finishing bottom of the standings last season and was aiming to make an immediate return.

The league said the final would go ahead on Saturday, kicking off at 3.30 p.m. local time.

___

AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer

An inside look at final preparations for Freedom 250 Grand Prix in DC

The Freedom 250 Grand Prix in D.C. is just days away. It is causing traffic headaches for drivers as dozens of roads are closed near the track that circles part of the National Mall and Pennsylvania Avenue. More roads are closing as the big race approaches. It is the first time an IndyCar race has been held on the streets of the nation’s capital. With this “once in a lifetime race nearing,” WTOP’s Luke Lukert was on Pennsylvania Avenue learning about last-minute preparations for the 250-mile race.
Read Next Story