Skip to main content

Deadly shooting Saturday marks Prince George’s County’s 100th homicide

A man has died following a shooting in Prince George’s County, Maryland, on Saturday, according to police. The homicide marks the county’s 100th murder so far in 2024, police said. It happened near Walker Mill Road and Karen Boulevard around 4:20 p.m., according to a social media post by the Prince George’s County police department. Officers responding to the scene found a man outside suffering from gunshot wounds in the area. The unidentified man was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. A spokesperson for the police department told WTOP no arrests have been made in the case.

X

To view this content from @PGPDNews on X, click here.

Saturday’s shooting marks the 100th reported murder in the county year to date. According to PGPD crime data released Saturday, in 2023, 98 people were murdered. In total, there were 117 murders and non-negligent manslaughter deaths in 2023. In neighboring D.C., the U.S. Attorney’s Office said last week that the homicide rate year to date in the District fell 30%. The number of people murdered in 2023 was 265. In 2024, that number was 185. A map of the location of the shooting on Saturday is below:

(Courtesy Google Maps)

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2024 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Prince George's schools focus on smoother bus rides after last year's bumps in the road

This story is part of WTOP’s 2026 Back to School coverage. Officials with Prince George's County Public Schools said this school year won't be a repeat of the start of last year, when school buses arrived late for some families or didn't show up at all.
Read Next Story