Skip to main content

Considering flowers for mom this Mother’s Day? Be prepared for higher prices

[connatix_element_embed script_id=50f51592a74848d98a461a58ddc04576 player_id=7bc491b4-922b-4e8d-b1b1-150648e80442 video_id=8868b2ea-3e4b-448b-bedf-85f53c20ce9c align=right]

You might be paying a little more for mom’s flowers this Mother’s Day thanks to increased tariffs on all imported goods.

Nationwide, it’s estimated that 80% of flowers sold in the U.S. are not grown here. Americans bought $2.2 billion worth of cut flowers and greenery last year, most of it coming from Columbia and Ecuador.

May is one of the busiest times of the year for Christine Topacio and her flower shop: Chevy Chase Florist. As usual, she is busy right now, but is selling her products for higher prices.

“We’re seeing anywhere from 10% to 25% increases on some of our supply costs,” Topacio told WTOP. “We have lots of flowers, it will just be more expensive than people are used to.”

“We’re doing our best to try to make things fair, and down from the wholesalers through us, we’re trying to see what costs we can absorb as a business,” Topacio said.

“Obviously, we can’t absorb all of it.”

That means her customers are paying considerably more than normal.

“Many customers are really understanding, others not so much,” she said. “We’re doing what we can.”

Topacio says her import percentage is higher.

“I would say 90% to 95% of our products are imported from South America, from Holland,” she said.

Despite the increases, she says her inventory is very good right now.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2025 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorizes first strike in ensemble’s 145-year history

LENOX, Mass. (AP) — The union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorized the first strike in the ensemble's 145-year history on Saturday. The Boston Musicians' Association issued a statement ahead of the expiration of the union's three-year contract at 11:59 p.m. Sunday. The orchestra and management have had strained relations since BSO decided in March to force out music director Andris Nelsons next summer after 13 seasons. “In spite of the turmoil of the last six months caused by BSO’s leadership decision to terminate the orchestra’s musical director, Andris Nelsons, they have failed to agree to a collective bargaining agreement that would begin to restore the trust that they have destroyed and offer a fair contract to the musicians who are at the heart and soul of the BSO,” the union said in a statement.
Read Next Story