Skip to main content

St. Lawrence Seaway opens, officials mark 60th anniversary

MASSENA, N.Y. (AP) — The St. Lawrence Seaway’s 2019 navigation season has started with American and Canadian officials marking the binational waterway’s 60th anniversary.

The Washington, D.C.-based Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corp. says executives from the agency and U.S. transportation officials joined their Canadian counterparts Tuesday at the St. Lambert Lock in Montreal to mark the anniversary and the waterway’s opening for the season.

The U.S. operates the seaway with the Canadian St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corp.

With its opening in 1959, the St. Lawrence Seaway linked the Great Lakes region and North America’s heartland to global markets. Since then, the engineering marvel has seen nearly 3 billion tons of cargo move through the waterway.

The seaway opened to commercial shipping in April 1959.

Fentanyl seizures plummet as Trump administration shifts focus to immigration

WASHINGTON — Fentanyl seizures decreased by 39% during the first year of the second Trump administration after U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement shifted the Department of Homeland Security’s criminal investigations arm to conducting immigration enforcement, according to a report government investigators published Friday.  Agents with Homeland Security Investigations, a subagency of DHS’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement, reported an “all hands-on deck” environment toward immigration enforcement began in January 2025, according to the DHS Office of Inspector General report. “With ICE dedicating more staff hours to immigration investigations, staffing hours for fentanyl investigations declined,” the report said. The report found that the hours dedicated to fentanyl investigations for fiscal 2025 declined by more than 250,000 hours, or 31%, compared to fiscal 2024.
Read Next Story