Skip to main content

Prince George’s County residents call for more mental health resources for children

At a meeting Monday night, billed as a “Mental Health Town Hall,” Prince George’s County leaders heard an update from health officials about the progress made in the last year in providing mental health services.

But they also heard from parents frustrated that the county has not made much progress in providing those same services to children.

Related stories

Wala Blegay, representing District 6, which includes areas such as Largo, Bowie, Capitol Heights and Upper Marlboro, sponsored the town hall.

“I lost my son then. He’s still alive, but I’ve lost my son,” said Maryland State Del. Kim Taylor, sobbing as she told the story of her son, who suffered a mental breakdown. Taylor couldn’t find help.

“There was a struggle on my steps with my son and my husband, and I called 988, and there was a wait. There was nobody available,” she said.

The point made by parents attending the meeting, and acknowledged by county leaders, is there is a need to do more in providing mental health services to children.

“There are no ER beds for children with psychiatric issues except for Largo Hospital,” said Danielle LeClair, whose adopted daughter, now a teenager, has post-traumatic stress disorder and other mood disorders, the result of fetal alcohol syndrome, according to doctors.

“Largo has two beds,” LeClair said. “But, it’s where all the adult men patients are, who can just walk in with your teenage daughter. There’s no locked door.”

Council members and health officials admit they need to do more.

“I really don’t want you, Ms. LeClair, to have to come back and voice frustration again,” Blegay said. “Believe me, you don’t just speak for yourself. From many parents, I’ve heard the same thing.”

Blegay said she’s hopeful the next Prince George’s County executive will find the resources necessary to fund a robust mental health system for children in the county.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2025 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Fentanyl seizures plummet as Trump administration shifts focus to immigration

WASHINGTON — Fentanyl seizures decreased by 39% during the first year of the second Trump administration after U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement shifted the Department of Homeland Security’s criminal investigations arm to conducting immigration enforcement, according to a report government investigators published Friday.  Agents with Homeland Security Investigations, a subagency of DHS’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement, reported an “all hands-on deck” environment toward immigration enforcement began in January 2025, according to the DHS Office of Inspector General report. “With ICE dedicating more staff hours to immigration investigations, staffing hours for fentanyl investigations declined,” the report said. The report found that the hours dedicated to fentanyl investigations for fiscal 2025 declined by more than 250,000 hours, or 31%, compared to fiscal 2024.
Read Next Story