Skip to main content

Falling concrete closes lane on Southwest Freeway in DC

Lane remains closed after concrete falls on DC’s Southwest Freeway

The right lane on northbound Interstate 395 under the 7th Street SW overpass reopened just before 2 p.m. Tuesday, more than a day after a large slab of concrete collapsed onto the freeway.

The District Department of Transportation responded to the concrete debris on the Southwest Freeway Monday afternoon and blocked the right northbound lane between Maine Avenue SW and the 3rd Street Tunnel.

A WTOP traffic camera showed a backhoe loader and dump truck being used to clear the concrete debris off the right shoulder. The debris appeared to be broken pieces of a concrete wall panel that fell from an elevated portion of the freeway’s retaining wall below 7th Street SW.

“DDOT bridge engineers immediately conducted an inspection and confirmed the bridge remains structurally sound, with the issue isolated to a decorative concrete panel near the abutment that loosened due to water intrusion affecting the mortar behind it,” a spokesperson with agency told WTOP.

There were no reported injuries and there was no indication that the concrete struck any passing vehicles.

The incident in the District follows two episodes of falling concrete on New York City’s Trans-Manhattan Expressway earlier this month. One driver was injured.

Repairs to the retaining wall will resume Tuesday evening “to ensure the continued safety of the traveling public,” DDOT said.

Editor’s note: WTOP’s Neal Augenstein reported from the scene.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2026 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Clear bags only, TSA-style screening and what to know ahead of the Freedom 250 Grand Prix

The U.S. Secret Service wants those heading to the Freedom 250 Grand Prix what to expect when they go through the security checkpoints Sunday. Tara McLeese, special agent in charge of the Secret Service Washington Field Office, told WTOP that they've been working for months on the plan to secure the venue for the event as a presidential site. "Our mission is to ensure the safety of every Secret Service protectee while also ensuring a swift screening and access for thousands of ticketed attendees," she said. She said they're expecting President Donald Trump, several members of his family, and several members of the cabinet at the Grand Prix. 
Read Next Story