Skip to main content

DC Council member Trayon White’s bribery trial now set for September

A judge denied D.C. Council member Trayon White’s motion to dismiss his federal bribery case last week. The trial is set to move forward and will begin in a few months.

Related stories

The Ward 8 council member was arrested in August 2024 and is accused of accepting $35,000 in cash bribes to influence city contracts. Prosecutors say he agreed to accept $156,000 from a business owner in exchange for pressuring D.C. government employees at two different agencies to extend those contracts.

White was expelled from the council in late 2024 but was reelected months later.

He has pleaded not guilty.

In a decision issued last week, U.S. District Judge Rudolph Contreras said White’s jury trial is set to begin in September.

White had requested the bribery charge be dismissed, stating that each of the four alleged payments should be tried as separate offenses, according to court documents. The court denied this motion and said “the four payments CHS-1 made to Mr. White between June and August 2024 were part of a single, continuing scheme.”

White also asked the court to preclude, or rule out, any evidence relating to his gambling, arguing it “plays prejudicially on class stereotypes and other prejudicial preconceptions.” The prosecution disputed that, saying the evidence is necessary and that it can show White “spending substantial amounts of money on chips at a casino shortly after receiving the envelops of cash from CHS-1.”

The judge denied that request abut noted in court documents that “the stigma may be higher when the gambling conduct involves a public official.”

Also denied were two requests by the prosecution, including one seeking to prevent White from arguing he was entrapped by law enforcement.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2026 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Clear bags only, TSA-style screening and what to know ahead of the Freedom 250 Grand Prix

The U.S. Secret Service wants those heading to the Freedom 250 Grand Prix what to expect when they go through the security checkpoints Sunday. Tara McLeese, special agent in charge of the Secret Service Washington Field Office, told WTOP that they've been working for months on the plan to secure the venue for the event as a presidential site. "Our mission is to ensure the safety of every Secret Service protectee while also ensuring a swift screening and access for thousands of ticketed attendees," she said. She said they're expecting President Donald Trump, several members of his family, and several members of the cabinet at the Grand Prix. 
Read Next Story