Skip to main content

Unified in grief and love, DC’s Capital Jewish Museum reopens after last week’s killings

[connatix_element_embed script_id=52b316ea879d4de086990d6860752d43 player_id=7bc491b4-922b-4e8d-b1b1-150648e80442 video_id=e93a9efc-7f14-4183-9ea8-f8ed77fdf50b align=right]

A week after a double homicide left two Israeli Embassy staffers dead in Downtown D.C., the Capital Jewish Museum has reopened its doors.

Outside the museum, lots of flowers, pictures and other items have been left behind to honor Yaron Lischinsky and Sarah Milgrim. Inside, there were more pictures of the young couple who were expected to get engaged this week.

“Our hearts are heavy with sorrow and disbelief,” said museum President Chris Wolf, shortly before he held a moment of silence for the couple. “We have grappled with profound sadness and search for meaning in the face of such reckless violence. We recognize the shock and grief that has rippled through our community.”

But with the reopening of the museum, he vowed that it showed a city that would not be deterred by the violence that occurred.

“It is a declaration that we will not allow hate to silence our voices or diminish our commitment to building a better future,” he said.

Joining him on stage was D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser, who celebrated the museum’s effort to return to normal again. And she called on the rest of the city to “keep showing up” for those of the Jewish faith.

“I believe strongly, and I have said often, it is not up to the Jewish community to say, ‘Support us,’” Bowser said. “It is up to all of us to denounce antisemitism in all forms.”

Related stories

After the mayor spoke, leaders of different faiths took the stage together.

First, it was Rabbi Lauren Holtzblatt, followed by Imam Talib Shareef, Right Rev. Mariann Budde, the Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington, and Rev. Thomas Bowen of Shiloh Baptist Church.

“God reminds us in our Scripture that to kill a single life unjustly is as though you’ve killed the whole of humanity,” Shareef said. “God does not want us to be cruel to each other, nor to be the victim of cruelty, but to treat all humans as a sacred creation of the Almighty Creator.”

“We are at our best when we show up for each other,” Bowen said.

Museum leaders vowed that the attacks last week will not be “the final chapter” of the venue.

“Thank you for being in community with one another this morning,” said Bea Gurwitz, the executive director of the museum. “We look forward to welcoming you back many, many times.”

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2025 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Clear bags only, TSA-style screening and what to know ahead of the Freedom 250 Grand Prix

The U.S. Secret Service wants those heading to the Freedom 250 Grand Prix what to expect when they go through the security checkpoints Sunday. Tara McLeese, special agent in charge of the Secret Service Washington Field Office, told WTOP that they've been working for months on the plan to secure the venue for the event as a presidential site. "Our mission is to ensure the safety of every Secret Service protectee while also ensuring a swift screening and access for thousands of ticketed attendees," she said. She said they're expecting President Donald Trump, several members of his family, and several members of the cabinet at the Grand Prix. 
Read Next Story