Skip to main content

1 dead, 2 injured in triple shooting in Petworth

D.C. police are investigating a triple shooting in the Petworth neighborhood that left a young man dead and a man and teenage boy injured Tuesday night. Authorities responded to the area of Georgia Avenue and New Hampshire Avenue near the Petworth Metro station just after 9 p.m. When officers arrived to the scene, officers found two males, 19-year-old Zephaniah Wright, of Northeast D.C., and a 15-year-old boy, suffering from gunshot wounds. Both were taken to a nearby hospital. Wright later died due to his injuries. The 15-year-old was treated for serious injuries. A third man got himself to a nearby hospital for gunshot wounds that were not deemed life-threatening, police said. Police said a vehicle that they were looking for had been found unoccupied. Earlier, police said they were searching for a black Honda HR-V with D.C. tag JN9940.

X

To view this content from @DCPoliceDept on X, click here.

Anyone with information is asked to contact D.C. police.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2025 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

‘My concerns are more for our service members’: Former Stars and Stripes editor on his and other firings

Former Stars and Stripe's Editor-in-Chief Eric Slavin speaks to WTOP's Ralph Fox. One of the Stars and Stripes staffers fired by the Pentagon said changes at the military newspaper could threaten its ability to cover news important to U.S. service members and their families. Eric Slavin, the newspaper’s editor-in-chief, was fired Friday. Stars and Stripes publisher Max Lederer and Middle East reporter Lara Korte also lost their jobs. "It was quite a shock," Slavin told WTOP's Ralph Fox. "It's not what I expected when I woke up on Friday, but really concerns are more for our service members and our families and what may lay ahead."
Read Next Story