Skip to main content

DC’s Russia House restaurant vandalized; police investigating as possible hate crime

Days before reopening since being closed for almost two years due to the pandemic, a D.C. restaurant will remain closed after vandals targeted its building twice with anti-Russian messages.

Aaron McGovern, the co-owner of Russia House Restaurant and Lounge on Connecticut Avenue, said someone smashed the windows of the restaurant and tried to pry open the door last Thursday night. And it didn’t stop there.

Sometime during the following night, vandals struck again he said, leaving anti-Russian signs on the building with messages that included “Putin House” and “Murderers.”



“It’s just sad is what it is, that there’s people with this mindset out there that because of the name of the restaurant that we are politically affiliated or government affiliated,” McGovern said.

McGovern said the vandalism “breaks his heart,” especially since one of the owners is from Lithuania with family in Ukraine, and the other was born in the United States and has served in the military. He said the staff is a “melting pot” of people, which includes Eastern Europeans who came to the U.S. looking for a better life.

“Our job is to make people happy and give them an experience, not promote anything or any country’s political views. It’s not who we are; we’re in the hospitality business,” McGovern said.

Since the restaurant is very small, McGovern has kept the business closed since the start of the pandemic. After what happened last week, he decided it is too unsafe to go through with plans to reopen.

“I can’t wholeheartedly open up a restaurant if I think a brick might get thrown through the window,” McGovern said.

D.C. police are investigating what happened as possible hate crimes, according to the police report.

After the impact of COVID-19 and the recent vandalism, McGovern said he’s worried about the future of the business.

“It’s been a very big struggle for the last two years, you know. I’m not a quitter, but this certainly tests the waters about thinking about it,” McGovern said.

For first time, Chuck Brown Day will go on without Brown family

For the first time in its 12-year history, Chuck Brown Day in D.C. will go on without the support of the family of the "Godfather of Go-Go." The Brown family announced it has withdrawn its support for Saturday's celebration at Fort Dupont Park, saying it no longer believes the event reflects the collaboration and respect Chuck Brown's legacy deserves. Chuck Brown's son, Nekos Brown Sr., told WTOP the issues are primarily with the D.C. Department of Parks and Recreation. "It's been three years of issues we've been having with them as far as staying on par with proper communication, just overall professionalism and the ability to take our stance seriously," Brown said.
Read Next Story