Skip to main content

Gonzaga president, 14 other Jesuit priests enter 9th day of isolation over coronavirus

Rev. Tom Reese, senior analyst with Religion News Service, resides at the Jesuit D.C. community home.

Fifteen Catholic priests who share a community home in Northwest D.C. entered their ninth day of quarantine on Monday, after one of them tested positive for the coronavirus.

The Rev. Stephen Planning, SJ, president of Gonzaga College High School, was found to have the virus March 15, leading him and his 14 Jesuit priest-housemates to self-isolate inside their community home, located at First and I streets NW, near North Capitol Street.

“We had to go into lockdown mode. We have been quarantined, have not left the house,” said the Rev. Tom Reese, SJ, senior analyst with Religion News Service who resides at the Jesuit D.C. community home.

Planning has avoided hospitalization so far.

“He’s still doing ok … he’s keeping isolated in his room and so we’re praying for him and taking care of him,” said Reese.


More Coronavirus News


Reese said he’s been regularly scrubbing down surfaces with antiseptic wipes as he and his fellow priests, accustomed to sharing meals and prayers, keep their distance from each other.

quarantine sign
A quarantine sign at the Jesuit D.C. community home.

“So far, the rest of the community is doing fine,” Reese said, “this is something that’s going to be part of a lot of people’s lives and I’m most worried about all those people who are homeless or in shelters.”

The priests believe their home quarantine should serve as an example to others to follow public health directives.

“People of faith have an absolute responsibility to pay attention to what public health experts are telling us to do,” Reese said.

“To get infected and then pass that infection on to someone else because of our carelessness, because of our selfishness, because we think we know better than anyone else, that’s what we call sin.”

 

‘My concerns are more for our service members’: Former Stars and Stripes editor on his and other firings

Former Stars and Stripe's Editor-in-Chief Eric Slavin speaks to WTOP's Ralph Fox. One of the Stars and Stripes staffers fired by the Pentagon said changes at the military newspaper could threaten its ability to cover news important to U.S. service members and their families. Eric Slavin, the newspaper’s editor-in-chief, was fired Friday. Stars and Stripes publisher Max Lederer and Middle East reporter Lara Korte also lost their jobs. "It was quite a shock," Slavin told WTOP's Ralph Fox. "It's not what I expected when I woke up on Friday, but really concerns are more for our service members and our families and what may lay ahead."
Read Next Story