Skip to main content

Australia drops Weatherald, recalls Renshaw after shock loss to Bangladesh in 1st cricket test

MACKAY, Australia (AP) — Australia’s has dropped Jake Weatherald and recalled Matt Renshaw in a bid to stabilize the top order and try to level the two-match series after a shocking loss to Bangladesh in the first cricket test on the weekend.

Australia announced a 13-man squad on Tuesday, with only the one change for the second test in Mackay, in northern Queensland state, starting Saturday.

Weatherald was out for 23 in the first innings and didn’t score in the second innings of Australia’s nine-wicket defeat in Darwin, and averaged 20.36 in his 12 test innings. Marnus Labuschagne, who scored 1 and 31, was retained in the squad despite concern over his form.

The 30-year-old Renshaw is a contender to open the innings for Australia with Travis Head in his latest comeback to the test lineup.

Renshaw made his debut in 2016 and played 11 tests before being dropped in 2018. He was recalled in 2023 for three tests but has only played in the shorter formats for Australia since then. He averages 29.31 with one century in 14 tests, but has only played one of his last 10 tests on Australian soil.

Bangladesh’s first ever test win in Australia put pressure on national cricket selectors for an overhaul, but the bulk of the aging squad was retained despite being outplayed in Darwin, where the likes of Mehidy Hasan Miraz and Tanzid Hasan made the most of the tropical conditions.

The victory was celebrated back home, too, with the squad receiving a congratulatory video call from Bangladesh Prime Minister.

Australia squad: Pat Cummins (captain), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Matthew Renshaw, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Beau Webster

___

See AP’s full cricket coverage here

Asia shares decline as worries about rising oil prices outweigh boost from strong earnings

TOKYO (AP) — Asian shares declined in early Tuesday trading, as rising oil prices and worries about inflation worked as a dampener on some markets, countering the optimism that had come from robust corporate earnings reports. Japan's benchmark Nikkei 225 dipped 1.6% to 68,098.54. Australia's S&P/ASX 200 edged up 0.2% to 9,088.60. South Korea's Kospi reversed course after surging earlier to drop 0.6% to 6,933.60. Hong Kong's Hang Seng lost 0.6% to 25,289.88, while the Shanghai Composite shed 0.5% to 3,963.53. Analysts said robust earnings reports in Asia, following those from the U.S., are helping counter worries about what the war in Iran will do to the global flow of crude and its impact on energy prices. Japan, for one, imports almost all its oil. “First, the beneficiary base from AI investment has broadened. Demand spread across a wide range of industries, including semiconductor production equipment, power equipment, machinery, electronic components, and materials. AI demand effectively helped rediscover globally competitive companies across these sectors,” Masashi Akutsu and Tetsuhiro Tokuyama said in a recent report for BofA Securities.
Read Next Story