Skip to main content

Washington Monument closed through inauguration due to threats

Citing continuing threats to public safety after the attack on the U.S. Capitol by supporters of President Donald Trump last week, the National Park Service on Monday closed public tours of the Washington Monument past the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden on Jan. 20.

The monument will be closed through Jan. 24, the park service said in a statement Monday.

“Groups involved in the Jan. 6, 2021 riots at the U.S. Capitol continue to threaten to disrupt the 59th presidential inauguration on Jan. 20, 2021,” the park service said. “This includes the setup and execution of inaugural events, which occur in several park areas.”

They added that they could start closing roadways, parking areas and public facilities “if conditions warrant.”


The latest on inauguration plans


Europe’s tallest statue of the Virgin Mary is inaugurated in a small Polish village

KONOTOPIE, Poland (AP) — An enormous statue of the Virgin Mary that is believed to be Europe's tallest was inaugurated on Saturday in a small Polish village, in the presence of legendary anti-communist leader Lech Walesa. Hundreds of people took part in the consecration of the monument, which towers 55.6 meters (182 feet) over Konotopie in central Poland, the home of fewer than 150 people. While helicopters scattered miniature red roses over the crowd, priests in white robes celebrated Mass and the popular Mazowsze folk ensemble sang and danced to traditional Polish music. The Polish statue is taller — if less dramatically located — than the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, which measures some 38 meters (125 feet) including its pedestal. Its height includes a crown-shaped 15-meter (49-foot) pedestal.
Read Next Story